Thursday, June 16, 2011

Who Let The Dogs Out? or Organic Varmint Solution...Kinda; You vote and decide!

Meet the enemy: Rabbits (or, colloquially, bunnies) are small mammals in the family Leporidae of the order Lagomorpha, found in several parts of the world. There are eight different genera in the family classified as rabbits, including the European rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), cottontail rabbits (genus Sylvilagus; 13species), and the Amami rabbit (Pentalagus furnessi, an endangered species on Amami Ōshima, Japan). There are many other species of rabbit, and these, along with pikas and hares, make up the order Lagomorpha. The male is called a buck and the female is a doe; a young rabbit is a kitten or kit.

The war rages on! It has been a month since the last attack but last night our garden suffered some casualties. We were attacked by the rabbits and they managed to eat ALL my leaf lettuce, ALL my romaine lettuce, a whole row of broccoli plants, and one of my jalapeno plants! We will not take this lying down. Tonight I beefed up our fence around the garden by adding more chicken wire and digging it deeper into the ground. I also buried some plywood sheets to make a wall as well. I did find their entry point and made sure they could not get through again. I do think that all my work will be in vain and they will breach my gates and walls eventually, but when they do I'll have a little something waiting for them....

"Say hello to my little friend!"


The solution is standing before you: The coyote (US: /kaɪˈoʊtiː/ or /ˈkaɪ.oʊt/, UK: /kɔɪˈjoʊteɪ/ or /kɔɪˈjoʊt/;[2] Canis latrans), also known as the American jackal or the prairie wolf,[3] is a speciesof canine found throughout North and Central America, ranging from Panama in the south, north through Mexico, the United States and Canada. It occurs as far north as Alaska and all but the northernmost portions of Canada.[4] There are currently 19 recognized subspecies, with 16 in Canada, Mexico and the United States, and 3 in Central America.[5] Unlike its cousin the gray wolf, which is Eurasian in origin, evolutionary theory suggests the coyote evolved in North America during the Pleistocene epoch 1.81 million years ago[6] alongside the Dire Wolf.[7] Unlike the wolf, the coyote's range has expanded in the wake of human civilization, and coyotes readily reproduce in metropolitan areas.[8][9]

I am a coyote hunter. Before all the animal loving people out there attack my blog and call me names, I just want to say this is not the place for that. I will erase your comments so save us both some time. Back to what I was saying... I am a coyote hunter and this is one of my decoys I use while hunting. It has fooled plenty of coyote so I am hoping it will fool ol long ears also. I plan to move it around everyday. I sprayed coyote urine on the tail to add some more "realness" to it all. If this does not work I will move to plan B...




What are your solutions for rabbit control? I would love to hear them so please post them in the comment section below.

One last thing, I did not know what to name this post so I am letting you decide. In the comments below cast your vote for #1 - Who Let The Dogs Out? or # 2 Organic Varmint Solution, or you could give your own suggestions. I'll officially change the post title next week Wednesday to the one with the most votes.

~Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment