Monday, May 9, 2011

Note To Self: Do Not Use Harsh Chemicals When Going Organic!

One would think that when one is planning to go organic one would not spray harsh chemicals where one plans on planting ones food... but then again I would not be where I am today when it comes to food habits if I took time to think in the first place.

MISTAKE #1 - Using Round-Up to kill grass.

When Keely and I decided to build a garden we decided to go big. There was an old flower garden in our background that the previous owner took care of and loved for probably 30 years...I took a lawnmower to it last summer. The flower garden was not big enough for what we thought our needs were so we planned to expand it by killing the grass next to it, doubling the size. I did what any blind consumer would do and headed to my local Lowes and bought a mega size bottle of Round-Up and started to spray away. Two days later the grass was dead and I started to till away.

Avoid This Mistake By - Using Vinegar Instead. { from Mother Earth News}

MISTAKE #2 - Using commercial fertilizer and weedkiller on the lawn.

As soon as the semi-warm Spring weather peaked it's head out I went to my local big box home improvement store and picked up a big bag of Scott's Fertilizer with crabgrass killer and threw the hypnotizing yellow pellets all over my yard. For a blind consumer it might be hard to see what the big deal is. But when you plan on using your grass clippings for food in the form of compost and as weed suppressant in the garden it means you are feeding your composter toxins which will then cause you to feed your plants toxic compost. Not mention that America's obsession (mine included) with obtaining the perfect lawn is a major player in polluting our streams and waters.

Avoid This Mistake By - Educating Yourself On Responsible Lawn Care {from Mother Earth News}

So these are my two big hand to the forehead mistakes that I have made right off the bat. But we are learning and I hope you can also learn from my mistakes. If anyone can add to practical ways people can care for their lawn without pouring toxins on it please share.

I thought I would leave you with a little story line of pictures and the birth of our first garden.

Enjoy,

~Matt

The old flower garden

My poisoned grass, soon to be our new extension, but first my son has to show me how to work the tiller.

You can see by this picture how much we extended the garden.

Here it is all cleared.

This is a community garden in our back yard, and here is the community! This was planting day.

The finished layout!


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! you guys rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tree stump really took off How many of those did you plant??... looks like you are off to a great start..organic gardens really work..lol :)

    ReplyDelete