Tuesday, May 10, 2011

So What Do We Eat??

If I was to be generous with myself I would say I'm a mediocre cook. Baking? That's another story, I love to bake and could survive on baked goods alone if there weren't four other people in my family who might disagree. There are so many times I go to the grocery store, come home and still have no clue what to make for dinner! So much to everyone's delight we eat pasta. Again. I'm ashamed to admit I don't read labels and if you are what you eat my kids would surely be chicken nuggets. I'm getting better at finding recipes and trying new ones, as long as they don't have too many ingredients and aren't more than 2 or 3 steps.

When we decided to start this journey I thought yep, we're going to be super skinny hippies if all we eat are fruits and veggies! I surely can't stomach a carrot for breakfast, not even if it was fried in pancake batter and dipped in syrup. It's obvious to me now that organic and healthy eating doesn't just apply to what's growing in my backyard. A simple Facebook message to my cousin, Salli, resulted in a fantastic website full of recipes (I've linked it on the side, it's King Arthur's Flour). I did a little googling and found some really cool ideas for budget-friendly, healthy eating. I've started paying attention to the labels in the house right now and it's shocking what's in there! I figure if I can't pronounce or spell it, I really don't want my beautiful children eating it. So this weekend I am going to purge my cupboards and pantry and start experimenting and try to think outside the box for our meals and snacks. Some things I can recreate organically, like pop tarts and chicken nuggets, but some things we're just going to have to suck it up as a family and eat something else. This is all on a budget of course, my husband and I both work for non-profits so we have to watch what we spend. Since we're blogging friends and sharing I can tell you that we have a weekly budget for groceries of $120, so I will share any tips and finds with you. I do most of our shopping at Aldis and get what I can't find at WalMart. Part of our goal with this blog is to share information so I'm going to leave you with a couple recipes I got from other people to try if you're interested. I'm drinking a glass of the juice now and it's fantastic, and I fully intend to try the veggies...and make Matt eat them. Now, if anyone knows a way to get organic Diet Coke, I'm all ears.....
-Keely

Lemonade, courtesy of my cousin Salli
2 quarts water
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup sugar

Garlic Roasted Veggies, courtesy of Matt's friend Angela
Any fresh, raw green vegetable
Lots of fresh chopped garlic
A little Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
Toss this together and spread on a baking sheet and bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes (or until veggies have black on the tips)
Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and enjoy! You can also add pine nuts or freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

3 comments:

  1. You can roast any veggie, it doesn't have to be green! I do potatoes, carrots, squash, just mix up the seasonings based on what you're cooking! Some veggies like asparagus are amazing roasted with just a little evoo, kosher salt and pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keely - I saw this on your Facebook today and curiously followed the link, and I'm SO EXCITED! James and I watched Food Inc. last year, and I was ready to go out and start raising my own livestock right here in suburban Chicago. But our weekly budget is pretty much right where yours is, and it seems nearly impossible to eat well on such a budget (we are also Aldi/WalMart shoppers). I've gotten very discouraged over the last year but have started to slooowwwllllly make small changes for my family's sake. I love that you guys started this blog and hope you don't mind if I follow along and learn from your journey.
    A cookbook I purchased after hearing the author speak on it is "What the Bible Says About Healthy Living" and I would HIGHLY recommend. The whole premise of the book is to eat things the way God intended (although, for time's sake, they will sometimes include such ingredients as canned beans rather than fresh, etc.). I've tried about a dozen recipes from it, and our family has loved them all. One of the best parts about the cookbook is that many of the ingredients are inexpensive or ones that you might already have at home. Anyhoo...
    Ok, there's my long, rambling comment. I just got really stoked reading your blog and seeing that there are others out there ready to challenge the status quo in this area! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Another book (to read in all your spare time): Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. She went a little more extreme than I'm ready to go but inspiring nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete